GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT STUDIES
THE BEAST FROM THE EAST: UNSETTLING CHINESE DEVELOPMENT AGENDA IN AFRICA
School of Global Studies, Social Science and Planning
GPO Box 3476
Melbourne, VIC 3001, Australia
Published online: February 10, 2017
1. Africa Progress Panel (2012). Africa Progress Panel Expert Consultation: Framing Key Issues, Summary. http://www.
Africaprogrespanel.org/files/4313/ 3001/ 8019/20120223%20-%20Summary%20of%20 the%20discussions%20low%
20res.pdf. Accessed on March 20, 2012
2. Africa Progress Panel (2010). BBC World Debate: Will the Real Africa Stand Up? http://www.africaprogresspanel.org/
en/Pressroom/videos/ Accessed on March 20, 2010.
3. Allen, K. (2011). Growing Africa 'must diversify.' Retrieved from www.bbc.co. uk /news/business-13297129
4. Anshan, L. (2007). “China and Africa: Policy and Challenges.” China Security 3 (3), pp. 69-93. http:// www.wsichina.
org/%5 Ccs7_4.pdf. Retrieved on April 20, 2011.
5. Brautigam, D. (2009). The Dragon’s Gift: The Real Story of China in Africa. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
6. Campos, I. and Vines, A. (2008). Angola and China: A Pragmatic Partnership. Working Paper Presented at a CSIS
Conference. “Prospects for Improving U.S.-China-Africa Cooperation,” December 5, 2007. http://www.csis.org/files/
media/csis/pubs/080306_ angolachina.pdf. Accessed on March 19, 2012.
7. Cheru, F. and Obi, C. (2011). “De-coding China-Africa Relations: Partnerships for Development or ‘(neo) colonialism."
http://www. worldfinancialreview.com/?p =858. Retrieved on February 21, 2012.
8. Cox, A. and J. Healey (2000). European Development Cooperation and the Poor. London: ODI.
9. Davies, M., Edinger, H., Tay, N. and Naidu, S. (2008). How China Delivers Development Assistance to Africa. Center for
Chinese Studies, University of Stellenbosch. http://www.ccs.org.za/ downloads/DFID_FA_Final.pdf.
10. Davies, P. (2007). “China and the End of Poverty in Africa: Towards a Mutual Benefit?” The European Network on Debt
and Development. http://www.eurodad.org/uploadedfiles/whats_new/reports/kinarapport_ar.pdf. Retrieved on January
11. De Haan, A. (2010). “Will China Change International Development as We Know It?” Journal of International
Development 23 (7), pp. 881-908.
12. Honadle, G.H. and Rosengard, J. K. (1983). “Putting ‘Projectized’ Development in Perspective.” Public Administration
and Development 3 (4), pp. 299-305.
13. Kazianis, H. (2011). Deception, Development or Interdependence? China’s Approach to African Trade. http://www.
14. Lagerkvist, J. (2010). “Chinese and African views in Chinese Aid and Trade in Africa.” In J. S. Sörensen (Editor).
Challenging the Aid Paradigm: Western Currents and Asian Alternatives. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
15. Lancaster, C. (2007). The Chinese Aid System. Washington, DC: Center for Global Development. http://www.cgdev.org/
16. ------------------ (1999). Foreign Aid and Development in Africa. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
17. Lengauer, S. (2011). "China's Foreign Aid Policy: Motive and Method." Culture Mandala: The Bulletin of the Center for
East-West Cultural and Economic Studies 9 (2). http://epublications.bond.edu.au/cm/vol9/iss2/3.
18. Makuwira, J. J. (2004). "Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and Participatory Development in Basic Education in
Malawi." Current Issues in Comparative Education [Online] 6 (2), pp. 113-124. http://www.tc.columbia,edu/circle/
19. McGillivray, M. and Morrissey, O. (2004). “Fiscal Effects of Aid.” In T. Addison and A. Roe (Editors) Fiscal Policy for
Development: Poverty, Reconstruction and Growth. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan for UNU-WIDER.
20. Mohan, G. and Power, M. (2008). “New African Choices? The Politics of Chinese Engagement in Africa and the
Changing Architecture of International Development.” Review of African Political Economy 35 (1), pp. 23-42.
21. Moordy, S. (2011). “China in Sub-Sahara Africa: Demand Extracting Supply.” International Affairs Review XX (1), pp. 1-22.
22. Mosley, P. and M.J. Eeckhout (2000). “From Project Aid to Programme Assistance.” In F. Tarp, and P. Hjertholm
(Editors) Foreign Aid and Development: Lessons Learnt and Directions for the Future. New York: Routledge.
23. Moyo, D. (2009). Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and Why There is Another Way for Africa. London: Penguin Books.
24. Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) (2011). Assessing Progress on Implementing the
Paris Declaration and the Accra Agenda for Action. http://www.oecd.org/document/44/0,3746,en_25493236398_
25. Polgreen, L. and French, H. (2007). “In Africa, China is Both Benefactor and Competitor” The New York Times, August
26. Ravallion, M. (2008). "Are There Lessons for Africa from China’s Success Against Poverty?" World Bank Policy
Research Working Paper 4463, Washington D.C.
27. Riddell, R.C. (2007). Does Foreign Aid Really Work? London: Oxford Press.
28. State Council Information Office of the People's Republic of China (April 2011). White Paper on China's Foreign Aid.
Beijing: Information Office of the State Council of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved on November 14, 2011
from http://www.eu-china.net/web/cms/upload/pdf/nachrichten/ 2011-04-21Chinas-ForeignAid-WhitePaper.pdf.
29. Taylor, I. (2007). “Governance in Africa and China-Africa Relations: Contradictions or Confluence?” Politics, 27 (3),
30. The Citizen (2010). Africa Trade with China Increase. http://www.thecitizen.co.tz/business/14-international-business/
4186-african-trade-with-china-increase.html. Retrieved on March 18, 2012.
31. Walz, J. and Ramachandran, V. (2011). Brave New World: A Literature Review of Emerging Donors and the Changing
Nature of Foreign Assistance. http://www.cgdev.org/files/1425691_file_Walz_ Rama chandran_Brave_New_World_
FINAL.pdf. Retrieved on February 20, 2012.
32. World Bank (2001). Education and Health in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Review of Sector-Wide Approaches. Washington
D.C.: World Bank.
33. Yamada, K. (2002). Issues and Prospects of Aid Modalities in Africa. http://www.grips.ac.jp/forum-e/pdf_e01/Yamada_
paper.Pdf. Retrieved on March 8, 2012.
34. Yong, L. (2011). China’s Trade with Africa. http://www.focac.org/eng/sfgx/t820242.htm. Retrieved on March 20, 2012.
35. Yumei, L (2007). “China’s Soft Power and the Development of China-Africa Relations.” China International Studies,