GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT STUDIES
SOCIOLOGY OF DISCOURSE ON CHINA-AFRICA RELATIONS
Institute of Global Cultural Studies
Binghamton University, New York, United States
Published online February 10, 2017
1. Ash, R. et al. editors (2007). China Watching: Perspectives from Europe, Japan and the United States, London & New
2. Alden, C. (2007). China in Africa. London & New York: Zed Books.
3. Andrews, L. (2010). The China-Africa Parallax: A Ryan and Gillian Mystery. Bloomington: Author House.
4. Anshan, L. (2008). “China’s New Policy Toward Africa.” In China into Africa: Trade, Aid and Influence, edited by Robert
I Rotberg. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press, pp.21-49.
5. Amina, A. (2009). “Strategic Direction.” In China, Africa and the African Diaspora: Perspectives. edited by S. T.
Freeman. Washington, D. C.: Aasbea Publishers, pp.32-34.
6. Brautigam, D. (2011). “China’s Growing Role in Africa.” Hearing of the US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations,
Subcommittee on African Affairs, Washington, DC. November 1.
7. ------------------ (2009). The Dragon’s Gift: The Real Story of China in Africa. New York: Oxford University Press.
8. Campbell, H. (2008). “China in Africa: Challenging U.S. Global Hegemony.” Third World Quarterly 29 (1), pp. 89-105.
9. Campbell, H. (2007). “China in Africa: Challenging U.S. Global Hegemony.” In African Perspectives on China in Africa,
edited by F. Manji and S. Marks. Cape Town: Fahamu, pp.119-137.
10. Casarini, N. (2009). Remaking Global Order: The Evolution of Europe-China Relations and Its Implications for East Asia
and the United States. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press.
11. Cheru, F. and M. Calais (2010). “Countering ‘new imperialisms’: What Role for the New Partnership for African
Development?” In The Rise of China and India in Africa, edited by Cheru and C Obi. Uppsala: Nordic Africa Institute,
12. Dreyer, E. L. (2007). Zheng He: China and the Oceans in the Early Ming Dynasty 1405-1433. New York: Longman.
13. Foster, V. et al. (2008). Building Bridges: China’s Growing Role as Infrastructure Financier for Africa. Washington, DC:
The World Bank.
14. Friedrichs, J. and F. Kratochwil (2009). “On Acting and Knowing: How Pragmatism Can Advance International Relations
Research and Methodology.” International Organization 63 (1), pp.701-31.
15. Guerero, D and F. Manji (2008). “Introduction.” In China’s New Role in Africa and the South. A Search for a New
Perspective, edited by Dorothy-Grace Guerero and F. Manji. Cape Town: Fahamu, pp.1-2.
16. Jakobson, L. (2009). “China’s Diplomacy toward Africa.” International Relations of the Asia-Pacific 9 (3), pp. 403-433.
17. Kurlantzick, J. (2007). Charm Offensive: How China’s Soft Power is Transforming the World. New Haven and London:
Yale University Press.
18. ------------------- (2009). “China’s Soft Power in Africa.” In Soft Power: China’s Emerging Strategy in International Politics,
edited by M. Li. Lanham: Lexington Books, pp.165-183.
19. Lee, H. and D. Shalmon (2008). “Searching for Oil: China’s Oil Strategies in Africa.” In China into Africa: Trade, Aid and
Influence, edited by R. I. Rotberg. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press, pp.109-136.
20. Meles Z. (2005). “Remarks at the Second Ministerial Conference of the China-Africa Cooperation Forum.” In China
Comes to Africa, edited by K. Abraham. Addis Ababa: EIIPD, pp.197-201.
21. Mogae, F. (2009). “A New Development Partner: New Opportunities.” In China, Africa and the African Diaspora:
Perspectives, edited by S. T. Freeman. Washington, D. C.: Aasbea Publishers, pp.21-28
22. Michel, S. and M. Beuret (2009). China Safari: On the Trails of Beijing’s Expansion in Africa. New York: Nation Books.
23. Rashidi, R. and I. V. Sertima (2009). African Presence in Early Asia. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Transaction
24. Raine, S. (2009). China’s African Challenge. London: Routledge.
25. Raphael-Hernandez, H. and S. Steen, editors (2006). Afro-Asian Encounters: Culture, History and Politics. New York
and London: New York University Press.
26. Shelton, G. (2007). “Afro-Chinese Relations in an Era of Globalization.” In Afro-Chinese Relations: Past, Present &
Future, edited by K. K. Prah. Cape Town: CASA, pp. 232-267.
27. Shinn, D. (2011). “China’s Growing Role in Africa: Implications for U.S. Policy”, Hearing of the United States Senate
Committee on Foreign Relations, Subcommittee on African Affairs, Washington, D.C. November 1.
28. ------------ (2008). “Military and Security Relations: China, Africa and the rest of the World.” In China into Africa: Trade,
Aid and Influence, edited by R. I. Rotberg. Washington, D.C: Brookings Institution Press, pp.155-196.
29. Smith, S. (2008). “Six Wishes for a More Relevant Discipline of International Relations.” In The Oxford Handbook of
International Relations, edited by C. Reus-Smit and D. Snidal. New York: Oxford University Press, pp.724-732.
30. Taylor, I. (2009). China’s New Role in Africa. Boulder & London: Lynne Rienner.
31. Tekeda Alemu (2010). “The World, Africa, China and Ethiopia: China-Africa Relations.” A lecture delivered at China’s
Foreign Affairs University (CFAU), April 15.
32. Wenping, He (2007). “‘All-Weather Friend:’ The Evolution of China’s African Policy.” In Afro-Chinese Relations: Past,
Present and Future. Cape Town: CAAS, pp.24-47.
33. Wyatt, D. J. (2010). The Blacks of Premodern China. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
34. Yongpeng, Z. (2007). “Reality and Strategic Construction: Globalization and Sino-African Relations.” In Afro-Chinese
Relations: Past, Present & Future, edited by K. K. Prah. Cape Town: CASA, pp.268-279.