AFRICA IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY: EXAMINING TRADE DIVERSIFICATION AND NEW PATTERNS
OF TRADE IN SOME LARGE AFRICAN ECONOMIES
Tsitsi Effie Mutambara
Department of Economics and Economic History
Grahamstown, Republic of South Africa
Published Online: March 15, 2017
1. Batra, A and Khan, Z (2005). "Revealed comparative advantage: An analysis for India and China". Working Paper 168.
Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations.
2. CUTS-CITEE 2005. India and Mercosur: Boosting Trade Through Regionalism, Briefing Paper IBSA 1/2005. Cuts Center
for International Trade, Economics and Environment.
3. De Benedictis L and Tamberi M (2001). A Note on the Balassa Index of Revealed Comparative Advantage. Working
4. Drysdale, P and Garnaut, R (1982). Trade Intensities and the Analysis of Bilateral Trade Flows in a Many-country World:
A Survey. 0620.pdf.
5. Foroutan, F. (1998). “Does Membership in a Regional Preferential Trade Arrangement Make a Country More or Less
Protectionist?” World Economy 21 (3), pp. 305-335.
6. Gilbert (2010). Understanding and Using Common Indices of International Trade. Presentation at the ESCAP Training
Session, Ulaanbaatar, June 24-25, 2010. tid/projects. Accessed on November 29, 2012.
7. Hakura, D. and Jaumotte, F (1999). "The Role of Inter-and Intra-Industry Trade in Technology Diffusion." IMF Working
8. Koçyiğit, A and Sen, A. (2007). “The Extent of Intra-Industry Trade between Turkey and European Union: The Impact of
Customs Unions.” Journal of Economic and Social Research, 9 (2), pp. 61-84.
9. Krugman, P. R. (1981). “Intra-industry Specialization and the Gains from Trade.” Journal of Political Economy 89
(October), pp. 959–973.
10. Luey, P. (1978). Intra-industry Trade Levels: Hong Kong and the Rest of the World. Hong Kong Economic Papers,
(12), July 1978.
11. OECD (2002). Intra-industry and Intra-firm Trade and the Internationalization of Production, OECD Economic Outlook 71.
June 2002, pp.159-170.
12. Tiis, M. and J. Juriado (2006). "Intra-industry trade in the Baltic Sea Region." Working Paper 2/2006, Institute of Baltic
13. Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies, TIPS, (Date unknown). Trade Performance Indicators. A Guide Produced by Trade
and Industry Policy Strategies.
14. Weldemicael, EO 2010. Bilateral Trade Intensity Analysis. [Online] http://www.economics.unimelb.edu.au/seminars/
15. Willcox O. and Van Seventer, D. (2005). “Current and Potential Trade between South Africa and China.” In Draper P.,
and le Pere, G (editors) Enter the Dragon: Towards a Free Trade Agreement between China and the Southern African
Customs Union, pp. 167-220.
16. World Bank, (2010). A Guide to Trade Data Analysis. A Guide Produced by the World Bank’s International Trade
Department. [Online] http://wits.worldbank. org/WITS/ docs/snapshot%20brochure_sep%202010.pdf. Accessed on
July 30, 2014.
17. World Bank (date unknown) Export Trends and Trade Structure Indices. [Online] Available at http://web.worldbank.
64168445~piPK:64168309 ~theSitePK:2463594~ isCURL:Y,00.html Permanent URL for this page:http://go.worldbank.
org/BK80KIXUQ0 Accessed on August 28, 2014.
18. World Trade Organization and United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, (2012). A practical guide to trade
policy analysis. [Online] Available at 12_e.pdf Accessed
on July 30, 2014.
19. Yeats, A. J. (2004). “On the Appropriate Interpretation of the Revealed Comparative Advantage Index: Implications of a
Methodology based on Industry Sector Analysis.” Paper presented at the European Trade Study Group Sixth Annual
Conference, (RTSG 2004), Nottingham, September 2004.